Tuesday, January 23, 2007

We are the hollow men, we are the stuffed men

My grandfather died today.

The only real impact it's had on me is hoping that my dad, uncles and Myrna are ok. I guess you could say we were never that close. Hell, half the time, he couldn't remember our names. It was something of a running joke that the only grandson he cared about was my sister's husband because he'd been in the military.

My dad was in a state of shock when I talked to him. I can only guess at how he must be feeling. All his life, all he wanted was for his father to say "I love you and I'm proud of you" but he knew it would never be.

I was telling a friend the other night that if you could find enough love in your own heart, you wouldn't need it from other people. I tell myself that lie all the time in the hopes that it will come true. Why are we cursed with this need for love? It hurts so much when it can't be reciprocated.


Straight talk, give me the straight talk
Tell me what's on your mind
if it ain't love
I'm not gonna beg you for nothing
I'm not gonna beg you for your love

~ Natalie Merchant

1 Comments:

At 7:50 AM , Blogger MARIANNA said...

I never truly believed you when you made that comment, Mr.Kerr. Granted we must first and foremost love ourselves, but what a feeling it is to be sincerely loved by others. Whether it is our family,our friends or a lover - being loved and to be able to feel that love is the fuel that makes us function as human beings. Besides, there is not greater feeling then when others love you for the same reasons you love yourself so much. Love has a power that we too often ignore...

Have a wonderful day, and let it be filled with love:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home