Sunday, December 03, 2006

Not with a bang but a whimper

It is the eve of the hallowed Creo staff party. Last year at this time, we were half way through a bottle of Mescal and three sheets to the wind. I'd only been with the company for a month and it seemed a good way to get to know everyone. Now that I've wrapped up my last day, I was hoping to leave in the same riotous pitch. Instead, I'm recovering from yesterday's food poisoning and now my stomach is the only one around me reading the riot act. I'd been planning for weeks to tear it up in a farewell blowout. Instead, I very soberly said goodbye to my former colleagues.

It's never easy to say goodbye to things you care about. But sometimes you have to in pursuit of something more. Carl Jung had to make the difficult decision to leave Freud's tutelage in order to probe deeper into the depths of the psyche. I have had great teachers who've learned a lot through experience but have no desire to understand the underlying laws that make them work. They are the great explorers who sailed across the ocean and found the promised land. I am the inquisitive clerk who wants to understand the mysterious forces of the winds and tides so that I can reliably guide others to the same spot (and possibly even further.) But in order for me to test my theories, I'm required to sail my own ship and bid my teachers farewell.

Momma, I've got two strong hands
and they're fine as far as hands go
I can shoulder the future I can face the wind
for the dream that I must follow

it's a dream that could kill with its beauty
it's a hurt that can heal with its pain
and with all of these miles that lie before me
I may never get home again

but I'll carry the songs i learned when we were kids
I'll carry the scars of generations gone by
I'll pray for you always and I promise you this
I'll carry on ~ I'll carry on

~ Rich Mullins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home