Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Has been

You talking to me?
you talking to me?
you calling me... has been?

What'd you say your name is?
Jack, never done jack
Glad to meet you, who's your friend?
Dick, don't say dick
Whadya know. And you friend, what's your handle?
Don, two thumbs don

* * *

That comes from a funny song William Shatner did (yep, Captain Kirk sings... sort of.)

A funny song that hits me square in the chest. I guess it hits too close to home. One of the toughest parts of starting a new company is it's making me face my demons from the last one. The one that I failed at. The one where I made so many mistakes that I still feel a little ashamed. The one that my so-called-partner squeezed me out of.

I guess you could say, it brings up some painful memories.

Tomorrow is my last day at Kodak. After that, it's full throttle with the new venture. But before that, I get to pass through what feels like the jaws of hell. I'm off to a CEO's conference which would be great if it wasn't also going to be attended by the folks who ran me out of the last company.

It's not easy feeling like a failure.

I know that the only way to grow is to step outside your comfort zone and try something new. And when trying something new, you're going to make a lot of mistakes. But knowing that in my head doesn't make it any easier in my heart. If I can do one thing, I hope it's keeping my chin up. Let the anger go. Be humble and still hopeful. Miracles happen.


What are you afraid of? Failure?

So am I


(has been... has been...)


Has been implies failure... not so.

Has been is history
Has been... was

Has been

...might again



~ William Shatner

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home