Saturday, November 25, 2006

If I ever lose my faith in you

Over the years, I've read and watched a reasonable amount of J.R.R. Tolkien and it occurs to me that I keep coming back to his work because there's so much there that it sometimes takes a little time and experience before we can understand the subtleties of his work.

I was watching "The Two Towers" last night and have been thinking the faith that Frodo would need to guide him when all hope was failing. Circumstance told him one story but he chose to believe that he'd find a way through.

There are so many moments in life when the road is unclear. Even when we know the path we should take, it's not always certain what will happen if we do. As children, we were afraid of the dark. Did we ever really grow out of that?

I wonder if it's possible to damage our fate by giving into our fears. I don't think we can necessarily stop the things we are required to do but perhaps we delay them and diminish their effectiveness if we are unwilling to walk into uncharted territory. I am certain that the road to greatness is beset with fear and uncertainty. Perhaps it is the very act of passing through those terrors that burns the mediocrity off us.

May faith guide us when our path is hidden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home